[OM] Walking around Ashton Northamptonshire (OT gear)

Subject: [OM] Walking around Ashton Northamptonshire (OT gear)
From: "GeeBee" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 07:44:18 +0100
I took a shot of this tree and had just picked up my bag to move on when
these two approached. I resumed my position and waited for them to come into
shot. I bade them good day and in an attempt at friendliness I said that
they were just what the shot needed. They said nothing and the guy on the
left looked at me as if I had just crawled out of an apple. I was hoping
they would go one stage further and say something about getting out of their
way or I would be feeling their crop thus giving me the opportunity to give
them the kind of poor taste crude comment for which I am famous:
Leica M6 : 21mm Elmarit : red filter : Kodak Professional BW400CN
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06192.htm

The great clouds that I was enjoying don't always lead to rain but the
headlights on this bus were a sure sign that it had encountered rain
earlier:
Leica M2 : Summicron 50mm DR : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06193.htm

This chap looked completely out of place, more American than English:
Leica M2 : Summicron 50mm DR : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06194.htm

Ashton church, sadly locked due to its close proximity to town but a great
place to eat my packed lunch. Some consider my love of churchyards morbid
but I do not find them at all morbid, just restful and a peaceful place to
sit
and reflect:
Leica M2 : 21mm Elmarit: Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Northamptonshire_Churches/A-L/pages/Ashton_01.htm

William Alan Humphrey who didn't live anywhere near long enough. As well as
his often visited grave there was also a very comfy bench with a plaque
dedicating it to his memory:
Leica M2 : 21mm Elmarit: Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/Northamptonshire_Churches/A-L/pages/Ashton_02.htm

Typical village cottages built from the local honey coloured stone. The
telephone wires and tv aerials detracted slightly but the light was just
fine:
Leica M2 : Summicron 50mm DR : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06195.htm

The footpath had been ploughed up and not retrodden of late but I knew its
course over the brow of a hill from previous walks so I did something that,
although perfectly legal, always makes me feel uncomfortable and I set out
across the farmers crop:
Leica M2 : Summicron 50mm DR : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06196.htm

To the right the weather looked to be getting decidedly nasty but again
there was great light:
Leica M2 : Summicron 50mm DR : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06197.htm

Rain was starting to look inevitable but I have a poncho that covers me and
my camera bag and I can be completely rainproof in about 10 seconds,
maximum:
Leica M2 : Summicron 50mm DR : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06198.htm

I was still shooting a few minutes before the rain hit:
Leica M2 : Summicron 50mm DR : Agfa Vista 200
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06199.htm

I wasn't expecting the wind that accompanied the rain to be so strong. It
suddenly blew up a gale and the rain started as if someone had turned on a
tap. My ten seconds to get under cover proved to be a little optimistic and
I missed the best shots of the day. Those of me wrestling with my poncho
which was by turns glued to my face or overhead, at arms length, as if
filled with helium. I came tantalisingly close to getting the damn thing
over my head but I couldn't keep it there long enough to find the head hole
which needed my head in it to anchor it while I covered up fully. By the
time I was under cover I was soaked but greatly amused at the thought of the
shots I could have got if I had been watching me :-)

--Graham
http://www.geebeephoto.com