[OM] Re: Basic Dumb Question: What solution to use in cleaning lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Basic Dumb Question: What solution to use in cleaning lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 03:01:44 -0700
Jay Drew wrote:
> What do you recommend for cleaning lenses, both the solution and any
> recommended
> cloth?  I've used Optyl-7 and the PowerClean cloth, and I'm not satisfied,
> especially with the PowerClean cloth (it's sort of a micro shamois that likes
> leave micro fibers behind, kind of like a regular shamois-cloth does.)
>
> I'd search through the archive, but the search mechanism seems broken on the
> web
> page, and has been for some time.

This has certainly been discussed many times before, with many differing
opinions and practices.

 From my perspective, the first question comes before applying any
solution or cloth. And that is how to remove any abrasive bits first.
For me, that involves a blower or canned 'air' to get everything loose
off. Next comes careful observation with bright light and magnification.
I then try to gently dislodge anything that sticks up from the surface
with a soft brush reserved for the purpose. I've also used a lint free
cotton tipped thingie with a bit of liquid on it to dab (no rubbing!)
something stubborn off.

I'm of the opinion that most scratches from cleaning are a result of
starting the process when there are bits of abrasive dust still there.
Once everything dangerous is removed, I suspect almost any fluid that
isn't harmful to the coatings is fine and almost any non-abrasive cloth
that doesn't leave lint is fine. At the moment, I'm using some
"Anti-Reflective Lens Cleaner - For coated glass or plastic lenses", a
freebie from the optometrist, and one of those microfiber cleaning cloths.

I recently got a LensPen MiniPro. I've tried it on a couple of lenses
where I didn't care what happened. It does indeed seem to clean very
nicely without any sign of it's having been used, even with rather
vigorous rubbing. Their own site is about the cheapest source
<http://lenspen.com/>. I still clean all dust, etc. off first.

Moose