[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants (SHORT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants (SHORT)
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 01:08:18 +0800
On 01/10/06, Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Going back to Olympus, my question then is "what does Olympus sells me" ?
> The
> answer is not obvious. I hope Olympus people are more enlightened than I
> am,
> because I have a strong feeling that Olympus is reluctantly into DSLRs for
> fame only, ready to back out at any moment, and would rather stick to
> consumer grade compacts as a profit center.

That's where so many people are so so very wrong. One of the biggest
problems is that too many people are writing Olympus off without proof. Some
of the most rewarding successes in the history of mankind are those where
people are proven wrong because their mindsets were overcome by sheer
brilliance or just the way of thinking that others dismiss. Olympus is in
DSLR business not because they're there to make YOU happy. It is their
tradition and it is part of a larger overall big picture. DSLRs are actually
ACCESSORIES required by the Olympus Group and these accessories are critical
to their overall business plans which transcends the Imaging Corp. They have
already decided to MOVE OUT of the digital compact camera market. And this
is PRECISELY what I mean.....the news have been out TWO YEARS AGO that they
made that decision and I'm absolutely dumbfounded that while so many slag
them off, no one reads the news.
It's often very easy by measure of how mankind behaves. I'm a journalist by
profession and it's amusing how people love to read the worst sensationalist
news because we seem to be very interested in the macabre. The worse the
news, the more our eyes are glued to it. Some people are reacting with their
own hunches here. There is no proof. There is no concrete evidence. A lot of
hearsay. A lot of self-perpetuated "very convincing" speculations.
Someone started the ball rolling with bad news a'la Olympus and now it has
snowballed. It won't stop because Man loves this sort of stuff and rubbing
hands in glee, it will just pick up momentum and get worse.
I cannot do anything about it. I care for the company more than any of you
not just because I had worked for them - I still do work for them - but my
belief in the way they work and their own faith is remarkably strong. It's
almost impossible to put down in words but one day, I will put something
into publication that all will read about. Until then, I continue to read
with horror how people can say that they care for the company and yet react
the way they do. They do not know the insides yet they say the things they
do. They say they're loyal because they've bought and own so much equipment
and for some, this is the ONLY justification that they have a right to say
what they want to say.
No one can blame me or say anything to the fact that I'm STANDING UP for the
company I love. And I will continue to do this while I hear all that I'm
hearing right now. One day I hope I have that chance of meeting everyone of
you eyeball to eyeball.

K.

--
> Manuel Viet