[OM] Re: [OT]thoughts

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT]thoughts
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:24:13 -0700
Cc: <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
At the end of a very busy week in which I've managed to at least try and
keep up with all the list traffic, and when many times I'd wished for
the time to reply, Richard goes and does it for me, saying much what I
had been thinking over the last week, only "more better" (Thanks, Walt).

I could never have said this as well as you have, Richard (and not just
in the short section I've retained below).

For myself, I'll add this:

Were I a professional photographer, I'd be (dispassionately!) moving
along to whatever is required for my work. If that means I've gotta
kowtow to (often clueless) stock photo and/or art directors that think
that *every* image requires as many megapixels as they can possibly get,
then so be it. One makes projections as a result of one's market, buys
what is affordable and gets the job done, and lives with it. Letting my
fondness for Olympus stand in the way of a business decision (much less
ranting about their inability to produce what I want at the moment) just
wouldn't be part of the equation. I suspect that were I shooting
professionally, I'd have made that decision some time back, due to
Olympus' slower pace, just like 90% of the pros out there seem to have
done.

As a "serious hobbyist" however, I can allow my fondness for Olympus to
be a part of the equation. Nothing I'm currently doing is going to
require a 10-12 megapixel camera in the near future (and might never
actually *require* it). I've got absolutely no need for Olympus to be
giving me the "warm fuzzies". I'll just try and shoot the best photos I
can teach myself to make, using the equipment that suits me best, which,
for some decades now, has been that from Olympus. Whether it remains so
depends far more on non-technical than technical reasons: things like
how it feels to hold and work with the camera. The technical goodies are
just a bonus.

Olympus have their own "way" and I'm content to let them follow it. I
don't need for them to be biggest or most popular.

Olympus America also have their own way, and I will refrain from
commenting, there. I'm reminded that unless one has something nice to
say, it's often better to say nothing.

---
Scott Gomez