[OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants

Subject: [OM] Re: Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:12:00 -0400
>Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:33:07 -0700 (PDT)
>From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Bad attitudes and Olympus Rants
>
>Ok, maybe I need to beg forgiveness for trash-talking Olympus
>these past few days.  I would hope that you all understand that
>this is out of supreme frustration with my current situation.
>
>I'm not a hobbyist. Photography is an "interest" but also a
>"business". Cameras, such as the OM-2S and E-1 satisfy most of
>my "interest" side quite well, and for *MOST* of my business
>side too.
>
>[snip]
>
>... Previous submissions
>with lesser quality were easily accepted, but no more. When I
>inquired about it, I was told that they were no longer going to
>accept any images taken with a camera less than 10MP.
>
>Now, YOU TELL ME what I'm supposed to do?  If this is a source
>of income required to buy food, it pretty much defines my
>minimum equipment needs.

As others have stated, you need to buy more than 10 Mpix, or you will
never quite catch up.

If you plot acceptable pixel count (y-axis) versus year (x-axis) on a
log-linear scale, the trend line will be more or less linear, and you
can extrapolate to tell when various quality levels will be required.
Combine this with how long it takes to recover the cost of a camera,
and you can guestimate how many pixels to buy.  It's rough, but it's
the only known way to make such estimates.

The log-linear part is a reflection of Moores' Law, applied to digital cameras.

Joe Gwinn