[OM] Re: Interview with Watanabe Akira, Olympus DSRL development Manager

Subject: [OM] Re: Interview with Watanabe Akira, Olympus DSRL development Manager
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 08:42:21 -0400
I went out yesterday to shoot some rain shots, what with the new TOPE
shooting period just opening, and it reminded me why I love my damned E-1 so
much. Weather seals. I didn't think a thing about setting up and shooting
off a tripod in the rain. All I did was keep the barrel pointed down to keep
drops off the glass itself, and everything was just fine. That is one
superbly built camera, and I would love to stick with it. I might even be
able to wait halfway through next year for the E-Whatever, if I can convince
myself that it will be out, and it will give me more resolution so I can
make larger prints.

It's true that with the help of Genuine Fractals I can make a right sweet
true 16x20 from an E-1 file, but most shots need a little viewing distance,
which is fine. Then I compare true 16x20s from the E-1 with my view camera
shots, and, well, things fall apart rapidly. I know 12MP is not going to
give me view camera quality, but it will or should be significantly better
than 5MP. If the E-Whatever's 12MPs are as fine for their resolution as the
E-1's 5 are, then I'll be a happy camper.

Meanwhile, that 10MP Pentax K10D is looking awfully sweet. I can't tell if
the lenses are weatherproof, however. Doesn't seem to make much sense to
have weatherproof body if the lenses leak, now, does it?

--Bob