[OM] correct close-up focusing procedure

Subject: [OM] correct close-up focusing procedure
From: "William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 01:46:38 -0700
> So far, the biggest problem I have with the E-500 is focus failure
> when taking pictures of mechanical things, especially close-ups.
> For some reason, such subjects just flummox the autofocus
> mechanism, despite having plenty of light and the better (f/2.8-3.5)
> lens. Even repeated coaxing and coddling failed to convince the
> camera to focus properly, shot after shot. This leaves manual
> focus, which is pretty awkward and imprecise on the E-500.
> Unless I'm missing something.

Yes, you're missing something.

I have the 50/3.5 macro, and you're right. Not only is AF erratic, but the lens
apparently will not autofocus all the way to 1:1. I believe the instruction
sheet warns about this, though in typical Japanese fashion, no reason is given.
The reason is probably that, at 1:1, the effective f-stop is 7.0, too slow for
the autofocus sensor, regardless of scene illumination.

The solution to this problem is, as it's always been, to focus manually -- not
by turning the focus ring, but by moving the camera.

It would be nice if the E-500 had a feature that automatically customized the
camera's settings for a specific lens. Mounting either of the macros would
switch the camera to aperture priority, manual focus, and set the WB button to
DOF preview.