[OM] Re: A spam question

Subject: [OM] Re: A spam question
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 15:54:35 -0700
One way to do this is to look for mail servers and then harvest user emails
from each one.  They simply flood them with all kinds of email address
combinations, and those who are not bounced back right away are then known
to be good and set aside for further use, or sold on to bulk mailers.
Because of this it is not advisable to use email addresses with common (or
short) names such as john@xxxxxxxxx.  The longer, and more cryptic, the
better.  In a way you should select your email address in a similar fashion
as you pick keywords (or are supposed to pick them...), using letters and
numbers, creating combinations not found in any dictionary.
I used to have an email address at work which consisted of only three
letters.  Before I knew what was happening, I was flooded with all kinds of
spam, mostly offers which men are not supposed to be able to resist.