[OM] Re: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Vivitar/Kiron 28/2 questions
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 12:02:36 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006, Ross Orr wrote:

> I have two versions of this Vivitar lens (both made by Kiron, as you
> deduced from the "22" serial number). The earlier one is
> single-coated and can be ID-ed easily because the front rotates as
> you focus. Yes, wide open the performance of this is pretty rotten.
>
> But there is a later version, multi-coated, with a non-rotating
> front--which is much improved wide open.
>
> Unfortunately, guess which one has the stuck diaphragm...

Thanks Ross, that was an interesting bit of information. Mine is the
later version then, as the front element and filter thread do not rotate
and it's labeled "MC".

I went through two test rolls yesterday looking for comparison shots
but there just weren't any good ones. Best I could come up with were
these, showing the transformation the lens goes through with the last
click of the aperture ring:

http://www.softshark.ee/~priit/viv28.html

They don't illustrate the image quality very well either, the best word
would be 'smeared' perhaps. Highlights develop halos and somehow bleed
into surrounding areas.

All that being said, I've given some thought to some available light
photos I've taken with a 50mm N*kkor at social gatherings - christmas,
parties etc. The praised optical quality of that lens never played a major
role in these, due to various reasons (DOF limitations, grainy film,
alcohol consumption). Under these conditions the Vivitar wouldn't probably
lose by much, except perhaps in contrast which could be a problem
potentially. And I don't mind using something that is apparently faulty
and worthless - don't need to be paranoid about losing it, physical abuse
by other people or whatever :)

priit.