[OM] Re: CCD post processing noise reduction

Subject: [OM] Re: CCD post processing noise reduction
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 03:15:21 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> It is a spin off of the red eye reduction in which the little
> computer has to find the little red dots in the middle of a face and
> change them to black. Somehow it does not obliterate the tail lights
> of cars. But I guess the rear of a car does not look like a face to a
> computer either.
Ah, how out of touch I am. But that may be because my goal is to avoid
flash wherever possible. the high iso performance of the 5D and F30
certainly help with that.
> The face recognition is used for the focusing system
> not to remind you of their name. I think it is based on the
> assumption that many people are only interested in pointing a camera
> at people as the center of interest and automatically focuses on the
> face.
Again, you shed light in my darkness.
> It is a selectable option. I don't know what it does with more
> than one face
The 300D,and perhaps its successors, has an auto DOF mode, where it sets
the aperture to get DOF to cover the nearest and furthest focus points,
"effectuve for group photos and landscapes", it says. I don't know.
> except perhaps to provide for whining on a forum somewhere.

So it serves many useful purposes!

Moose