[OM] Re: E-400 size comparison...

Subject: [OM] Re: E-400 size comparison...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:12:45 -0700
khen lim wrote:
> FURTHER NEWS
> With the present lineup of 14-42, 14-45 and 14-54, one will eventually be
> discontinued.
As a practical marketing matter, they really have to do that. I think
one of the 4/50-150/200 zooms has to go too.

Retailers hate lines with too many similar products. It forces them
either to increase inventory or risk losing customers by being out of stock.

Salespeople hate lines with too many similar pieces. It leads to
customer confusion and a confused customer often backs off to 'think
about it'. The realistic fear is that they will try another store where
someone else will sell them another brand with an easy to understand line.

I don't know how much of the volume of DSLRs is going through retail
shops, but I suspect more than that is being influenced be retail
salespeople as buyers browse in shops, then buy online.

Although there were other factors in their failure, the early Oly AF
cameras were hated by retail salespeople. I knew one who was still able
to get worked up about it many years later. Apparently at least early
production was plagued by unreliability. He said he would do all he
could to steer customers to other brands, any other brand. Then if he
couldn't, he knew he would see the customer again, all too soon, and not
for a further sale.

Moose