[OM] List informatin for newcomers

From: Steve Goss <stevegoss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 00:14:17 -0500
Hi, Y'all-
Several years ago I started working on a FAQ for this list. It didn't go very
far, and has
languished on my hard disk ever since. Since we seem to have a number of new
people lately, I
thought I'd throw it out for grins.

Thanks, Steve Goss, Dallas Tx usa

ADITL
"A Day In The Life..." A once-per-quarter exhibit of Olympus photography.
Editions 1 and 2 were
hosted by George Anderson, in 1999, and can be seen here: <a
href="http://www.whitneygallery.com/olympus/";>http://www.whitneygallery.com/olympus/</a>
 and <a
href="http://www.whitneygallery.com/Olympus2/";>http://www.whitneygallery.com/Olympus2/</a>.
 Edition
3 was hosted by Olaf Greve at the turn of 2000, and can be seen here: <a
href="http://www.millennics.com/olympus/aditl3/";>http://www.millennics.com/olympus/aditl3/</a>.

ADITL 4 was started, but never posted to the web.

AG Schnozz
See: silver nose. No, it has nothing to do with agriculture.

bokeh
Pronounced with a long o, and short e. This is a Japanese word meaning fuzzy,
unfocused, or
blurred. As used here, it deals with the out of focus parts of a picture.
Different lenses render
unfocused subjects differently. Some are more pleasing than others.

Fang
Named for Doris Fang, of Florida, USA. A confirmed garage sale goer, she was
renowned for
purchasing expensive photographic gear for insanely low prices. Doris' tips for
buying equipment at
garage sales is saved for posterity in R. Lee Hawkins' 'How to Buy Used Olympus
SLR Equipment FAQ'
<a
href="http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/buying-used-om.faq.html";>http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/buying-used-om.faq.html</a>

Multi coating
Refers to the number of coats of material placed on lenses to cut down on
unwanted reflections from
the glass, and to help correct chromatic abberations. When Olympus started
multi coating their
lenses, they placed  the letters "MC" on the lens ring. This practice was
dropped once all of their
lenses were multi coated. See also: single coating.

The Gallery
The official name is "The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery". Hosted by
Garth Wood, this
showcases the work of many photographers using Olympus equipment. You can tour
the gallery at: <a
href="http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/";>http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/</a>.

TOPE
Pronounced the same as the color taupe. Stands for "Themed Olympus Photo
Exhibition", and is hosted
by our own Olaf Greve. For rules, the gallery, and what's coming up next, go to
<a
href="http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/";>http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/</a>.

Silver nose
The earliest lenses for the Olympus OM series of cameras had a chrome ring at
the very end. Later
versions just had black paint in the same location. As a general, and not
always followed rule,
silver nosed lenses are usually single coated, as opposed to multi coated.

single coating
Refers to the number of coats of material placed on lenses to cut down on
unwanted reflections from
the glass, and to help correct chromatic abberations. The name single suggests
that only one
element of a lens is coated, or one layer is used. See also: Multi coating.

Errata:

Who brews the strrrrongest coffee?
I don't know.

How do manual extension tubes work?
Slowly.

Is this a Fang?
If you bought it for less than 1/10th of the normal price, and it's in good
shape, yes definitely.

Where can I get my OM worked on?
Two of the best: <a
href="http://www.olyfix.com/index.html";>http://www.olyfix.com/index.html</a>