[OM] Re: RESCUE ME

Subject: [OM] Re: RESCUE ME
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:11:41 +1000
> Gordon Ross wrote:
> [...]I hope that I haven't been 'voted off the island', I don't
> have to extinguish my torch do I? [...]

Gordon,

I ADMINister another mailing list, and have had experience in our
daily error report of 'shaw.ca', in their endeavours to limit the
spam that you get, implementing "controls" that identify listmail as
spam (for example, based their receiving a certain number of emails
for their customers from a single sender within a certain time frame).
It may be that the OM list has been technically identified as a
"spammer" by shaw.ca (I don't know if the OM list-admin gets the
error reports, or has time to review them, but they might identify
what shaw.ca's auto-response has been if they *are* blocking it).

There are a few ISP's that implement such "control" of spam, in
varying levels of "success" (don't get me started on AOL and
Bellsouth. Some mailing lists have simply said that they won't
subscribe AOL email addresses, for instance). So, it may be a
matter of dealing with your ISP to stop them identifying a valid
mailing list so.

Alternatively, Moose's suggestion can often be right on the money
for many. Gmail lets you use your email client to just POP3 right
in, so to you it might become completely transparent if you set your
client up right - all into the same Inbox, but from different
sources.

Of course, it could be something else entirely. :-)

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz