[OM] Re: lipstick on a pig?

Subject: [OM] Re: lipstick on a pig?
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hans.van.veluwen@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 16:50:33 +0200
: The 7-14mm is a pro-grade lens and clearly isn't targeted to the E-500
: market.

Not to the E-300 market either, but that didn't stop me anyway :)

The 7-14mm is a great lens, but it's big and heavy and way more
expensive (1550 euros) than I normally would allow myself to buy on one
piece of photo equipment, being an amateur photo enthousiast. If there
had been an affordable lightweight 9mm/F3.5 lens I would have bought
that instead. But there is no alternative; the 11-22 is not wide enough
(love the effect of my 18/3.5 OM Zuiko too much to go without it on
digital) and has too much overlap with my Sigma 18-125 anyway.

When I fool myself by believing the euro is really worth the old Dutch
guilder nowadays it softens the pain of the price a little bit. Besides,
many of buy a new computer every three or four years, some even at a
higher frequency, and don't hesitate to do so, spending about the same
amount. We even accept that it will be near worthless after five years.
Well the 7-14 should have a much, much longer live... just don't drop it
:()

The bright side is that since Olympus makes some pro-level lenses like
the 7-14mm/F4, 35-100mm/F2, 90-250mm/F2.8, 150mm/F2 and 300mm/F2.8 for
me it is certain there WILL be a successor for the E-1.

The latter lens costs btw (GASP!!) 6800 euros. Hey! The 7-14 was a
bargain! ;)

Hans