[OM] Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236

Subject: [OM] Incident vs reflected, was olympus Digest V3 #236
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 15:47:39 +0100
William

I had to think about this for a while; then I took my light meter
(little Sekonic 308) outside ...

You don't point the dome at the camera.  With the translucent dome
fitted over the sensor you point it at the light source to measure
_incident_ light.  If you want to measure _reflected_ light you
remove the the dome and point it at the subject.  How close to the
light source you point it is a matter of judgement; e.g. above the
horizon for the sun or below.

I'm not sure what you might measure by pointing the meter at the
camera, unless you are photographing the camera ... :-)

Chris

~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.