[OM] Back to Olympus...

Subject: [OM] Back to Olympus...
From: Andrew Wiese <andrew.wiese@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 05:53:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all from Berlin,

I was a member of the list back in the late '90s, when I was a college
photography student in Sydney, but recently started lurking again and am
delighted to find it seemingly better than ever here, though I swear some
threads never closed.  By way of introduction, I thought I'd give a little
background...

My father gave me his old OM1 and 50/1.8 for by birthday not long after I
finished high school.  I built up a collection while studying commercial
photography, but I had my kit stolen at one stage (OM4, OM2n, 21/2, 24/2,
35/2, 50/1.4, 85/2 - it still hurts to think about).  With the insurance
money, I then made the decision to switch to C*non wonderbricks as it was
what basically everyone I knew was shooting and well, it seemed like a good
idea at the time.  Anyway, they served me reasonably well for some time,
working in various unkind environments.

I hadn't picked up a camera for some time other than for holiday shots,
until I recently realized I wasn't really happy with the E*S... my gear is
bulky and heavy, and for some reason, I find I tend to switch my brain off
instead of thinking about exposure much, which led to some disappointing
results in interesting situations, and I was never all that happy using
autofocus, and even with full-time override, the image never snaps into
focus.  It also doesn't suit the kind of personal work I like to do - street
and documentary.

So for the first time in an awfully long time, I picked up the only bit of
OM kit I had left, my OM1 and 50/1.8 and looked through the viewfinder at
the (enormous) image.  Long story short: I realized that's hiow a camera
should feel like and handle.  I considered briefly starting with a Leica M
system, as at least it looks like there'll be a digital body and continuing
support, and maybe, one day, when money is no object, I'll take that route.
But for now, OMs are king - I have a 35/2, 50/1.4, 100/2, and an OM4Ti on
the way.  All I need now is another OM4Ti, a 24/2, and I do really miss that
21/2... maybe a 90/2, everyone's talking about the 180/2.8, and don't I need
the 85/2 as well...?

A.
Sent from the Olympus Users forum at Nabble.com.