[OM] Re: Flash trigger voltage on the E-500?

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash trigger voltage on the E-500?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 07:28:29 -0400
I don't know anything about the E-500's voltage protection on the hot
shoe.  Maybe Khen has a means of finding out.  Obviously, Olympus would
prefer that you simply go buy what they're selling today.  Therefore
they leave you to deal with fear, uncertainty and doubt about flash
voltages rather than giving you the technical data.

Heres a website with lots of info on trigger voltages of mostly older
flash units.  <http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html>
I think your camera salesman must have his Metz model numbers confused.
  According to the list above, trigger voltages on the 45 CT-1 have been
measured from 218 to 600 volts.  It also appears that Metz would like to
forget this unit.  Checking their website for archived user's manuals on
older equipment the 45 CT-1 is not to be found.  He probably meant the
45 CL-1 which is a much newer flash unit and reportedly has trigger
voltages of about 6 volts.

If you can't get specs for the hotshoe voltage limit I'd stay with
something of 6 volts or less although I think Ali has used a T-32 on his
E-500 and T-32's can measure over 11 volts.  Come to think about it now
we did have some discussion of this a few months ago but I can't recall
the outcome.

Early Canon digitals (D30, D60 10D) had low voltage limits of only 6
volts.  The 20D, 30D and 5D are good to 250 volts and the Minolta A1 is
good to a whopping 400 volts.  Data readily found in the user's manual.
  I hope the E-500 is tolerant as well even if they don't say so.

Chuck Norcutt