[OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Hi-Fi advice
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:16:05 -0400
LOL!!  I like the "Home Depot" cables.

For those outside the U.S., Home Depot are a chain of stores that
combine gardening supplies, appliances, decor stuff, tools and lumber
under one roof.  I guess we can now add audiophile gear to the list of
offerings.

Optional Emperor Has No Clothes Audio Anecdote - While at an audio
trade show back in the late seventies, I attended a demonstration by
one of the turntable manufacturers.  It was supposed to prove their
product was better than their primary competitors.

The 'host' was an unkempt audio snob who we later concluded was
sipping something stronger than coffee from his cup.  While a dozen
plus of us sat in folding chairs, he proceeded with comparisons of the
same passage of music, in each case regaling us with the "obvious
superiority" of his product.  I was straining to hear ANY differences
and noticed others with furrowed brows.  After a few while the fellow
sitting next to me leapt to his feet and in a booming voice announced,
"This is bull$hit!  I can't hear any difference at all!" and stomped
out effectively bringing the farce to a close.  Those of us who
remained shared a sheepish round of laughter as we too made for the
exit.  He said what most of us were thinking but were too polite to
voice.

In my experience, the transducers (speakers and, in the old days,
phono cartridges) made the most difference in perceived sound quality.
 Differences in the other components were a lot more subtle.  And
nothing could overcome bad hearing or poor room acoustics -- which
most people seem to have in some combination.

ScottGee1
(who used to sell premium 'stereo' gear)