[OM] Re: Fearless street photographyt (Was: Bye-bye photography, hello p

Subject: [OM] Re: Fearless street photographyt (Was: Bye-bye photography, hello paranoia..
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 04:56:48 +0200
In the message I received, Walt Wayman writes:

Walt,

>I still frequently indulge in street photography, but not with OM or E-thingy
>gear, which attracts too much attention when it's held up to the photographer'
>s face and obviously aimed and fired at folks. I do it with ancient, 1950's MF
> gear: a Graflex XLRF*, 58mm f/5.6 Rodenstock Grandagon lens, and a 6x9cm roll
> film back, loaded with, depending on my mood and the weather, Tri-X or Provia
> 400, the rig hanging casually around my neck, the very, very quiet leaf shutt
>er being tripped surreptitiously via cable release.

Lately I've been using either a tiny Can*net (G-III QL17) or an all but
small R*lleiflex 6008. First one is small, quiet and looks a toy, whilst
the bulk of the 'flex usually commands attention and comments. However,
when used for street photo, I find that people go out of their way to
ignore R*llei, together with its loud mirror slap and rewind noise. I
can't say same for silent, unobtrusive, Can*net.

It's all about 'looking the part'; even the (sometimes) annoying
security guards on the Anzac and Harbour Bridge failed to ask what I was
doing when I was dragging the 'flex and a tripod along. Quite unlike my
previous experience with the OMs.

Sometimes, size does matter.

Cheers,

Saso