[OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT a couple computer questions
From: "Bart Wientjes" <bartjew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:39:33 +0200
Excellent and obvious remark.
Generally: don't do it, for the following reason:
All devices (let's say the controller, a hard drive and a DVD writer) on the
same channel (i.e. tha same flat cable) are on one speed, which will never
exceed the maximum speed of the slowest device.
When I look at hardware that is in the shops right now, most DVD rewriters
are UDMA 33, some UDMA 66 (from stuff I have at home (about 2 years old
now), CD and DVD devices are DMA 2 (16 MB/s)). Most mother boards and drives
support UDMA 133 (that is 133 MB/s, with busmastering capability for the
drive).
So putting a DVD writer on the same channel as a hard drive is likely
to throttel the Disk.

If however the disk supports the same transfer speed fast as the DVD writer,
and you are NOT using the disk and the DVD simultaneously
(worst-case-scenario: burn DVD from DVD image on disk on the same
controller), it shouldn't make a difference.

Bart