[OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Flying with digital cameras
From: Thomas Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:13:01 +0200

On Aug 13, 2006, at 7:36 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> I didn't think that holds were pressurised, Bill, but I might have
> been wrong; the www gives all manner of diverse opinions.
>
> I had thought that pressurising the hold would add unncessary load to
> the engine bleed system, but  it is probably also true that airlines
> might wish to use the hold for cargo that needs a sustainable
> atmosphere, both in partial pressure (of oxygen) and in temperature.

They ship pets in the hold, no? I would assume that at least the
parts of the hold where Fido et. al. are stored would be pressurized?

I am not so afraid of pressure as I am of the inevitable wrong
routing, manhandling and theft of/from my luggage. In about 60% of my
travels, checked-in luggage is late by more than 24h, with about 1-2
completely lost baggage/year. I've got a good travel-insurance, and
can't remember the last time I had to pay for cloths out of my own
pocket. But they won't cover a stolen Zuiko, so checking such is a no-
go.

--thomas