[OM] Re: monopod ?

Subject: [OM] Re: monopod ?
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 14:15:38 -0400
At 01:12 PM 8/9/2006, Jeff Keller wrote:

>  I ordered a C*non right angle view finder but haven't received
>it yet. I found a post that said the Seagull finder did not mirror image the
>view, but rather than risk being disappointed I clenched my jaw and ordered
>the C*non.

One thing to be aware of is that the diopter adjustment on the finder
changes when you switch from the 1 1/4x to the 2 1/2x
magnification.  In my case it's correct in the 2 1/2x setting if the
barrel on the finder is screwed all the way in.  When I switch to 1
1/4x I then need to give the barrel a couple of twists out to keep
the subject in focus.  It seems like a real pain when I describe it
but it's become second nature to me now.

>Didn't you get the 24-105/4 C*non L lens? If so how would you compare it at
>the long end to a Zuiko 100mm?

I got one a few weeks ago.  I'm sorry to say though that I don't have
a 100mm Zuiko for comparison.  I always used my 75-150mm/f4 in that range.

>  Do you like it more than your 2.8 L lenses? I
>guess the greater mass/inertia of the 2.8 lenses might even be a plus on a
>monopod.

I haven't shot with it much yet - just a few test shots to be sure
that it was focusing correctly, to test resolution, etc.  I'm going
to give it a good workout starting next month on a four+ week trip to
the Maritime Islands.  So far though, in my tests, it equals or
betters the 2.8.  Center resolution is limited by the sensor, not the
lens, and it's a little sharper than the 2.8 in the corners with both
at f4.  It's also sharper in the corners at f4 than my 24mm, f2.8
Zuiko is at f2.8.  I think that the quality of this lens plus another
adapter fiasco that I'll describe in another message is going to
convince me to quit chasing third party primes.

As for shooting off a tripod - the mass of the 2.8 did make it sweet
for that but the IS of the 24-105/4 is going to more than make up for
the lighter weight.  I'm not the steadiest person in the world when
holding a camera and there's something that's hard to describe about
seeing the image in the view finder freeze when the IS on a lens
kicks in.  It'd be worth the extra cost just for that feeling of
confidence even if it didn't improve image quality.  ;-)

>By any chance have you tried anything wider than a Zuiko 18mm on you 5D?

24mm is the widest I've tried so far.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson