[OM] Re: Unexpected photo opportunity - bugs

Subject: [OM] Re: Unexpected photo opportunity - bugs
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 01:54:13 +0300 (EEST)
Sorry, I didn't mean to reiterate what everybody had been saying for the
millionth time :) Didn't receive anything from the list for a long time
and thought no one had answered that yet.

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006, Tim Randles wrote:

> if I am understanding this right, if I use my 45-150 evolt kit lens, and
> a 100mm tube, I could photograph the fractal -like patterns on flower
> petals? microscopic kind of photography?

I'm guessing if your kit lens is similar to a Zuiko standard lens when it
comes to close focusing, you'd get something like 2x magnification in the
wide end. Considering the sensor size also, it would be similar to 4x
magnification with a film body. What this means is that something of the
size of an ant (well, a 8mm ant, as they come in different sizes) would
fill the entire frame.

However, you'd also have to get very close to the subject and the depth of
field is very shallow. You'd have difficulties photographing the petals
outside if there's any wind at all.

I'm too lazy to calculate what would happen in the 150mm end right now.

> Another thing I was interested in understanding is taking pictures
> through a telescope, was thinking of Saturns rings.. photographing Mars
> would give me a bit of a rush...

I won't even get into that, as I would have no clue what I'm talking
about. Apparently you need an adapter and a suitable telescope. Doing a
lot of research before buying anything is recommended ;)

For quality photos of Saturn you'd need a very expensive and huge
telescope. Also, there are limits what you can do from the ground due to
the properties of the atmosphere, this is why there are several telescopes
operating from space.

Something I had bookmarked:

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/TOC_AP.HTM

priit.