[OM] Re: Underwater photography - mju 720SW?

Subject: [OM] Re: Underwater photography - mju 720SW?
From: "Marc Lawrence" <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:56:55 +1000
> AG Schnozz wrote:
> My ears can't take it. I have a very difficult time getting my
> ears to equalize.  And since some of my livelyhood depends on
> the preservation of high-quality hearing...  But I know the
> exciting stuff is usually down a few meters farther than I can
> hold my breath for.  But fortunately, I can hold my breath for a
> long time -- a trait that comes in pretty useful when using
> outhouses.[...]

AG, I've three words - Great Barrier Reef (actually, you can
probably chop this down a bit, or add to it as necessary,
depending on your geographical proximity to any of the world's
tropical reefs). Snorkelling only is required, though, as
Thomas says, there's some stuff off the drop-offs you can't
get to by snorkelling...but I'm a gear-minimalist when it
comes to doing, even if I'm a gear-maximalist when it
comes to purchasing. ;-)

Of course, you can still dive a bit while snorkelling. I
inadvertently scared the hell out of a Japanese couple by
swimming up through a hole at the edge of a dropoff.

I've never taken photos though. I've seen some beauties, but
I know *my* eye could never match to a sufficient degree my
experience. It's not a whole new world down there - it's just
most of this one that we rarely, if ever, see, and it is truly
AMAZING!

(...and I'm probably telling you how to suck eggs. Sorry, I'm
just momentarily enthused, for the below reason)

Cheers,
Marc (yearning for the tropics on this cold, Sydney, winter day)
Sydney, Oz