[OM] [lens] Re: [AMIA-L] Reply: non-hazardous film cleaner

Subject: [OM] [lens] Re: [AMIA-L] Reply: non-hazardous film cleaner
From: Tim Vitale <tjvitale@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:32:07 -0700
I saw PEC-12 referred to...

PEC-12 will swell water-sensitive materials.  This was brought home when
I was testing it on degraded nitrate sheet film.  The slightest pressure
on the film caused a break.  Alcohols will swell 40-60% of many
materials that swell in water, due to the -OH groups in both water and
alcohol.  In addition, water is miscible in alcohol and can usually be
found, in small amounts, in many alcohol-based solutions.

In my case the sheet film was fine for the first 1-2 minutes, when I
went back after about 10-15 minutes, the sheet was very sensitive to
touch.  I interpreted this as swelling, which set up strains, when
outside stress was applied, that was enough to cause a break.  I will
never use PEC-12 for anything again.

I use Stoddard's Solvent for cleaning film.  It has very low solubility
98:2:2 (Teas Sol Parameters) and is fairly cheap.  I will float away
dust and will desolve grease and self-adhesive tape residue.

A supplier of fluids for scanning film, Aztek, sells Kami2001 which is
mostly "Stoddard's Solvent" like fluid with additives
<http://www.aztek.com/Products/Aztek%20Imaging%20-%20Scanning%20Supplies(main).htm>.

Kami2001 is completely safe with all types of film.  They also sell a
film cleaner that I have not tested.

Tim Vitale
Paper, Photographs &
Electronic Media Conservator