[OM] Re: OT dpreview on the F30 - you heard it here first.

Subject: [OM] Re: OT dpreview on the F30 - you heard it here first.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:15:02 -0700
I am afraid you are right. I can understand that price drives sales
and that price competition has made small cameras unprofitable, but
is the lowest common denominator the only one being catered to?  I
would gladly give up a color LCD replacing it with a small black and
white that would just give me data and a histogram if I had a decent
viewfinder. I would even pay a little more. What I don't get is that
there are predictions of $400 DSLRs by next year and they can't make
and sell a decently featured small cam for the same price.

I mention Nikon because I know about it, but since they have dropped
all the upper line Coolpix models and only make little
viewfinderless, cheap purse cameras they are turning a decent profit
on them for the first time in a long time. Nothing like the little
cams that lured many of us to our first digital experience are being
made any more. A shame really.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA