[OM] Re: OT spammer finds email address(?)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT spammer finds email address(?)
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:22:47 -0700
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Now both Ewido and Spybot S&D say my
computer is clean. I'll look into Ad-aware and spyware blaster some more
later. The security agent spotted all kinds of things it was concerned about
while the software was being installed.

There are quite a few controllers for various instruments attached to our
internal network. Some of these occaisionally pick up malware. They are
partially isolated from the main networks. My first thought was that
something was snooping the network traffic.

The compromised email account is fairly old and has had almost no use. It
seems extremely unlikely that anyone at Microsoft gave away anything.
Receiving the spam shortly after sending a test email to the account is very
suspicious. The account probably hasn't received more than about 6 emails in
the last 6 months and those emails were junk mail from MSN/Microsoft urging
upgrades to my email account.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Maybe the Trojan horse is a human Trojan horse inside Microsoft/Hotmail
selling your email addresses.

Chuck Norcutt