[OM] Re: Sugarland, Texas

Subject: [OM] Re: Sugarland, Texas
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 17:46:52 -0700
3,400 sq ft ?

Only $1.75M in a so-so neighborhood. If the owners can solve the problems
with the sump pump, they can probably sell it.
http://www.julianalee.com/homes/2006/monroe_dr_186/

The following house is in a good neighborhood (owner wants about $2.6M, he
rejected an offer at about the list price)
http://www.julianalee.com/homes/2006/sequoia_ave_300/

These two houses convinced me I don't want a house with a basement around
here. If you want a house that size without a basement ...

The city of Palo Alto was going to prohibit people from buying two houses,
knocking them both down, so they could build a big house. (or in Steve Jobs
case plant a few apple trees) The max size house allowed is 6,000 sq ft
which requires an 18,000 sq ft lot (6,000 is considered a normal size lot).
It would probably be a better deal to buy a big house in Atherton on the
northwest border of Palo Alto (where Barry Bonds and similar wage earners
live).

Sacramento although only about 110 miles away is much different. It's prime
farming land in the central valley (and it's the state capitol). It's
normally much hotter than Silicon valley (we recently hit 93 which usually
happens each year for a few days in August but not normally in July).
Sacramento has experienced incredible growth over the last 5+ years. Even
surrounded by miles of farmland it's not cheap.

Other than tract houses you should figure $300 sq.ft. to build a house
probably almost anywhere in California. A potential buyer for the sequoia
ave house was quoted $1M to add 1,000 sq ft to his existing house (probably
a basement).

-jeff