[OM] Re: [OT] Printer recommendation

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Printer recommendation
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:31:04 -0700
Seems like for every person with a clogged head problem there are
dozens with no problems. Maybe the luck of the draw. One thing I have
learned, besides using Epson inks exclusively,  is that vigorous
shaking of the cartridge is a bad thing, making air bubbles that clog
things up. Gentle rotation is all I ever do. I do feel a certain
loyalty to Epson who developed the high resolution, archival printer
when everyone else was content to ignore photographers and
concentrate on the easy profits of other markets.   Also I just hate
that 180 degree roll around that most HP printers do, greatly
limiting the media you use. It also stresses the media, frequently
causing little bits of printed paper to flake off leaving white spots
in your print.

There have been discussions of the advantages of inks that are
developed for their properties as they are and not after they have
been boiled in the print head.

I would recommend another Epson, but if a change is in order I would
get a Canon since they at least think about the paper path. It is
interesting though that both Canon and HP have been able to talk
archival in the last year or so. They are catching up to Epson.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA