[OM] How hard and risky is it to repair a one touch zoom?

Subject: [OM] How hard and risky is it to repair a one touch zoom?
From: "Fabio Fiorellato" <flowerside@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:10:33 +0200
Hi list,

I've recently discovered that my Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8, apart from having
a mild amount of zoom creep, is not keeping correct focus when zooming from
one end to the other.

I mean, if I focus a subject when the lens is at 105mm and then zoom the
lens backwards to 35mm, the same subject is not in focus anymore (at least
judging by the split image in the viewfinder).

Of course the same happens when focusing at 35mm and then zooming at 105:
the lens is acting as a varifocal lens, although it wasn't supposed to.

Furthermore, the distance reading at 35mm are totally wrong: a subject that
is focused near infinite (>20m) when at 105mm, turns out to be at 5m or the
like when correctly focused at 35mm.

Given that years ago I had lost a Zuiko 35-105 with slow diaphragm because
of an idiot repairman incompetency, I'd like to know from those of you with
much experience in the field (John H. for instance) if repairing a one touch
zoom is really that hard.

I can live with the problem (my guess is that at 35mm setting I won't focus
right up to the minimum focusing distance, while at infinite there is no
problem at all except for the bad distance scale readings) but I'm still
considering the chance to let the lens be CLA'ed, if that doesn't turn out
to be such a hard job.

Needless to say, I'll go for another repairman rather than the one that
killed my Zuiko 35-105 (R.I.P.).

Anyhow, do you think that the focus misalignment should be a direct
consequence of the increased zoom creep? When I first bought the lens the
latter problem didn't showed, and neither did the misfocusing issue.

As usual, thanks for your precious help and hints

Ciao!

Fabio