[OM] Photography of childen and at aquatic places

Subject: [OM] Photography of childen and at aquatic places
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:57:50 +1200
Hi folks,

Two or three things have hit the headlines here lately.

I'll begin with the one I'm likely to forget.

A Dutch woman who came to New Zealand as child has made quite a name
for herself as a candid photographer of people, and especially some 30+
years ago of the Maori people. Ans Westra uses a Rollieflex 60 x 60 cm
camera, and never looks into the viewfinder in such a way as to  draw
attention to the fact that she is taking a photograph. I suppose she looks into
it sideways. She uses only B + W.

A search revealed many sites for her work; here's one off the top of the list:-

http://www.art-newzealand.com/Issue100/ans.htm

This technique has enabled her to just be absorbed into the social landscape
and pick off great images very well.

The other two items are related. There has been a fuss about parents taking
photographs of their kids when at local aquatic centres, other people taking
ANY photographs at these places, and parents (mainly mothers) towelling
dry their very small children in the open and dressing them under the sun
rather than in changing rooms. Apparently, centres run by local authorities (
and most are like this) have unwritten rules that prohibit photography, and
will even stop parents taking shots of their own kids.

The concern is that the photos *may* be used for indecent or illegal
purposes, and/or in some way *invade* privacy.

I tried to contribute to a radio discussion on this but what I e-mailed in did
not make the cut for the session.

In weird moments I envisage making a pretend camera from a brick and part
of a bottle, and test the reaction when it is seen after I'm accosted for
"using"
it. I could be charged with causing public nuisance I suppose.

As for tiny children (the ones they were concerned about were the young
girls) being dressed in the open air; considering the way many teenagers and
older display their flesh these days, not to forget what shows on TV, this is
PC attitudes gone mad.

Cheers, Brian