[OM] Slipping Closer (long)

Subject: [OM] Slipping Closer (long)
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:51:49 -0700
Apologies--I know many of you have been through this already...but I'm just
reaching this point... Every day it seems like I¹m slipping closer to moving
to digital. This was the latest nudge.

I'm trying to print up a 8.5 x 11 portfolio of photos for the local chapter
of the AIA, for prospective clients to view in the AIA office. With that in
mind I had a pro
photographer friend of mine stop by the other day for a lesson in color
management, and learned that the literally thousands of jpegs I have from
³scanned at development² rolls of film (by a Fuji Frontier system, I think)
are pretty much worthless in a serious color-managed workflow, since they
didn¹t come with an embedded profile specific to the scanner that scanned
them.

I can _assign_ them or _convert_ them to a profile (Adobe 1998 he
recommends) in PS7, and now that my monitors and printer are also profiled I
can see what they're going to print like, but there may or may not be much
connection to the colors of the original film...which has been my
frustration: The color seems to be hit or miss.

I could get a film scanner--the 5000ED with roll film adapter for
example--and scan the film myself. Or I can hire my friend to do the
scanning on his 900ED at about $15/scan for a 24MB+ scan, if I agree to do
150 scans over the next couple years. That is, if I pay him $2,000 up front
he'll do 150 scans for me. In terms of actually getting the work done this
seems liike a pretty good deal, since the major investment for me is not the
hardware, but the time it will take to do the scanning--especially if I have
one of my employees do it. I may want to invest in a film scanner as well,
for my own personal explorations, but that's kind of a different issue.

Of course, I still have to _find_ the negatives....scattered over probably
50 different rolls....

So anyway, Cameta has an E-1 kit with 14-54 lens and battery grip for $949,
counting the $50 rebate on the lens.... I am sorely tempted..... But does it
make any sense at all to invest in an E-1 at this point? I'm really liking
the look of the Panas*nic L1, which seems to be basically an E-330 with a
Le*ca lens. And the 5D is down to about $2500 for the body.... But I know
I'm going to want AF lenses, so it's looking like a new system could be on
the horizon.

Rob in Seattle