[OM] Re: OT: recovery software for Macs?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: recovery software for Macs?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:56:49 -0400
If, as someone here said, an SD card doesn't contain an embedded IDE
controller as does a CF card, the software's I/O instructions would have
to occur at a much lower control level.  Something that works with an SD
card would have to have a front end to simulate the controller's actions.

With controller in place the sofware might say something like "get me
the data cluster at relative offset address 14,237."  The controller,
however, has to say "Hmmm. How many tracks, cylinders and heads on this
device.  Calulate the relative positions.  Don't forget that some
sectors might be marked as bad and be relocated.  Check the relocation
table and translate.  Move the read head to cylinder X, sector Y and
select head 3.  Read the next Z sectors."  Or something like that.

Chuck Norcutt