[OM] [OT] 'Pipes, was Re: Re: Which tripod should I get ?

Subject: [OM] [OT] 'Pipes, was Re: Re: Which tripod should I get ?
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 15:10:07 +0930
.. but they're NOT meant to be played indoors!!! IMHO, the true beauty of
pipe music comes from the sound carried to you over a distance on the
breeze... Either a sweet tune, a dirge, or in times of war, a stirring
march (meant to scare the pants off your enemy!).

One of the organisations I belong to has a particular part in one of the
ceremonies where the piper plays a lament for the passing away of
someone important. He used to start playing at the back of the hall,
make his way to the front, through the foyer, come into the meeting
room, square the room & go back again.

Before the foyer was carpeted & the hall ceiling acoustically treated to
suppress the reverb, the feelings inspired by the sound of the
apparently distant pipes were amazing.  Now, the the pipes no longer
have illusion of distance & the music is nowhere near as stirring,
despite the formidable skill of the player... :(

davidt