[OM] Re: TSA policy on hand checking film, was: Re: Recommendations in S

Subject: [OM] Re: TSA policy on hand checking film, was: Re: Recommendations in San Diego
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:12:31 -0500
> Lead bags are useless and possibly damaging.  If the x-ray machine can't
> see through it the operator will just up the power until it does.
Partly true. The machines don't have power controls (do any x-ray
machines?), butt what they can do is repeated scans.

I've used them in the US a number of times in the last two years, and most
often, there are no extra passes and no inspection. I alswys inform the guy
at the head of the line that there is a lead film bag in the case.
Sometimes, they go directly to hand inspection. I have had it go through on
a single pass with no comment. Not exactly reassuring.

Bill Pearce