[OM] ME-1 and then I'm outta here.

Subject: [OM] ME-1 and then I'm outta here.
From: "Geilfuss Charles" <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:45:01 -0500
Greetings All,

            Got a chance last night to try out my E-500 with its newly
installed ME-1 eyepiece magnifier (thanks John for that quick delivery,
just in time for vacation). I've been asked to take photos at our
neighborhood swim team Meets to be used at a presentation at the
end-of-season party. We had a Meet last night at which I took about 150
photos. I wouldn't say the ME-1 is dramatically better but it *does*
improve the viewfinder. It appears larger and I find it easier to use
with glasses. The lighting conditions were variable, ranging from late
afternoon sun. to shade to night time with harsh artificial lights (love
that Custom WB). The 45-150 (along with Sport Mode) is very good at
getting action shots. The continuous auto focus works very well keeping
up with the action. Last year there was a guy shooting one of our meets
with a C*non setup. He let me borrow it a while. I'll give the nod to
C*non's viewfinder and auto focus but I like the feel and weight (or
lack there of) of the E-500. Using the 11-22 I got some very pleasing
low angle shots of swimmers coming off the starting platforms. The
camera was almost at water level; I manually focused, half pressed the
shutter and waited for the swimmers to get airborne. Once I tripped the
shutter I would pull away quickly to avoid the splash. It was a bit of a
crap shoot since I couldn't use the viewfinder, but with a little trial
and error I finally got the angle just right. I may have a keeper for
the next TOPE.

            I'm signing off for a while but will return after the 7/4
holiday. Going to enjoy the relative cool of the NC mountains for a
while.

Best Regards,

Charlie