[OM] Printing full-frame or cropping

Subject: [OM] Printing full-frame or cropping
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:35:49 +1200
Hi all

Many thanks for the comment and ideas about the Fuji machine "always
auto cropping) and suchlike. Thanks especially to Fernando for the idea of
adding a margin when self processing the image for submission to the lab on
CD.

Incidentally, the "Pro lab" that I took the negative to, that I was told did
not
crop, actually is a Kodak Q-Lab member, so I suppose it uses a Kodak
machine. They do crop, but not by nearly as much. Little on the long side
and seemingly more on the short side. So I'm still not satisfied.  So in the
end I did not scan the print that they made, I wanted the part they cropped
out at the bottom.

I wanted the whole negative printed, nothing more, nothing less.

At the friendly suggestion of C.H. Ling, I installed IrfanView on my laptop (it
won't run on my desktop machine) and that enabled me to preserve qualities
I wanted to, nearly as well as the alternative scanner would have done.

Cheers, Brian