[OM] Re: Anti Virus software - OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Anti Virus software - OT
From: ScottGee1 <scottgee1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:47:59 -0400
On 6/13/06, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SNIP!
> I had the same experience. The product was worth less than the $0 I paid
> after various coupons, rebates. I wonder if it is a problem with older,
> slower machines. This was a laptop running W98. McAfee did so much
> messing around, advising me, cajoling me and communing with the net,
> that an already rather leisurely boot up became intolerable. Overall, it
> just made the machine unusable. I just got rid of it.

Yep.  Older system, running 98SE.  They really shouldn't advertise it
as being compatible under 98.

I considered buying an XP upgrade but the cost of it, along with
necessary processor, BIOS and HDD upgrades would cost more than a new
box that included XP.  Such is the biz . . .

Got my eye on iMac now, heh, heh, heh -- for once my procrastination
may pay off.

> I recall that PC Mag gave ZoneAlarm it's highest rating in its last
> roundup. Certainly the ZoneAlarm firewall works well.

Still do.  See the link posted above.  But -- surprise!  It doesn't
run on a 98 box.

ScottGee1