[OM] Digital & retro <mostly OT> (also long)

Subject: [OM] Digital & retro <mostly OT> (also long)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 18:59:25 +1200
Hi all,

Most of you will know that I was rather late to the digital revolution with
cameras, and still in fact prefer film for many things, due to the better
resolution and the greater latitude I can achieve in many instances with film.
Using OM cameras of course, for both digital and film ( obligatory OM
content requirement now met.)

I have a home stereo system of modest specifications that I bought 2nd hand
(how else ?) some years ago; a Sanyo unit and I can't find a model number
on it easily; but it has nice big speaker cabinets with 3 speakers in each and
makes nice sound. So it has an LP deck, AM/FM radio, and twin tape deck
with high-speed dubbing ability, and for the lot a wide range of non-digital
controls over tone and other things. But no CD player.

Lately I have been sleeping very badly -  I might go to bed at 9, or as early
as
12 midnight; regardless, I will be wide awake 90 minutes later and unable to
sleep for the next 3 hours. So I will often listen to the classical programme
on the FM station; but sometimes I can't stand their esoteric choice; and I
don't want to get up and run the record player. Or I will do things on the
computer, or read a book. So I decided to get a CD player; the console has
a large slot for one.

On Trademe NZ last week when I decided to look for one, there were two that
looked OK; two Technics units. For one, the lower specification unit, SL
PJ28, I wasn't certain would work, the auction ended earlier than for the
other, a SL P202 which was a rack-mounted unit with many more features
that had been used in a radio station. With Trademe auctions, if there is a
bid in the last 2 minutes, the auction auto-extends for two more minutes;
which can make bidding a bit of a nail-biting affair.

So I bid and won the lesser unit which I got for NZ$11. That is, just under 4
pounds sterling and about USD7. Expensive !!   I thought I'd have a try for the
complicated unit; and there were several bidders, one of whom I though
might put up a fight.  Well, "he" didn't, and this unit was also knocked down
to me for $11 NZ.  Both were local pick-up, and I tested it when I got it home;
it works fine, but it about 2mm to wide to fit in the slot in the console. :-((

However, after some minor trials and tribulations (the first CD of my
daughter's that I tried wouldn't run, and I thought the units were duds, but it
was the Spanish CD that was at fault), I fitted the more simple unit and it
works OK.

Next, I went looking for classical music CDs.  Finding a shop with any sort of
range of them was easier said than done. Eventually a search through the
Yellow Pages took me to a LARGE store with an ugly front I had previously
ignored in my walking through the central business district. It has a huge
range of all sorts of new and used CDs, DVDs, video tapes, AND LPs. Yes,
new LPs (but not for classical music). No worries; they have many many
used classical LPs priced from $1 to about $7 (NZ).  I bought 5 of the $1
disks. (And a few CDs priced from $10 to $15 - I ignored those at $35.)

The $1 LPs ( 60c US, 30p UK) are in NEW condition. The previous owners
have taken amazing care of them.  And the sound has many advantages over
some of the CDs; doesn't sound as tinny, and the recordings have not been
munted through over-engineering that distorts the balance.

So, to my surprise, I find myself back in the market for LPs; without losing
sight of my original objective which is to give myself hour-long bytes of sound
in those sleepless hours.

And, for $5 I joined their club; for every $200 I spend I get the next $20 -
worth free. For the $5 I received a handsome coffee-mug. Now that's how to
get customer loyalty, even though you are the only shop in town that
matters!!.

The next OM bit; I had much enjoyment with the OM Odyssey OM1, what a
sweet unit, and have now sent it off to Mr CH Ling in Hong Kong.  I pick up
the developed film tomorrow.  We have had mostly lousy overcast or rainy
weather and it was not easy to find photogenic shots, but I think I managed.

Cheers, Brian
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are
putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    -- Mark Twain