[OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine

Subject: [OM] Re: Article in Orion Magazine
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:43:11 +1000
Most logging these days is simply forest mining - high capital and
low labour practices dictate that. Selective logging is a thing of
the past. It's not lumber that's the problem - ours are being
woodchipped and exported to japanese paper mills for income far below
their value. Woodchiping the so-called wastes encourages clearfelling
and removes the nutrients that allow genuine regeneration.
It's bad enough here but what's happening in Malaysia, Indonesia and
the Pacific Islands is criminal.
My original point is not that people can't see unbroken forest vistas
but rather that most people do not - ever. As photo enthusiasts this
list would have a higher proportion than normal of people who go out
looking. And while it was once commonplace, it's now rare or remote.
I loved the comments on Southern England as a constructed landscape.
Some years ago I was involved in a project where children from
several nations illustrated the idea of 'nature'. Most drew forest or
ocean scenes - the English kids almost to a person submitted pictures
of rural scenes, cows and sheep in fields. It's been a tame landscape
for a very long time. Took me years to adjust after I emigrated to
Australia!
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx