[OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back

Subject: [OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:38:11 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2006 2:57:08 PM Central Standard Time,
hiwayman@xxxxxxx writes:

Even  though Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman burned Atlanta at the end of the
War For  Southern Independence and is pretty thoroughly despised in these
parts, I  can't really disagree with what he said about the Lone Star state:
"If I
owned  both hell and Texas, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell."  I feel
pretty  much the same way about Florida, except in Florida they at least know
that
 real barbecue is pork, not beef and goat.

I'm sure I'll hear from some  folks about that.  :-)

Guess if you are a betting man, you sure would have won this one.  As  long
as we are quoting the famous and infamous, I'd like to share this one from
David Crockett, who likely met with a fate that you would have wished on Gen.
Sherman during the War of Northern Aggression.  In 1834, upon leaving
Washington, Crockett told the politicians, “You  may all go to hell, and I will
go to
Texas.”

Like you, I have for most of my life worshipped the great God, Freon.   That
has not however kept me from living in Texas.  I was probably raised  not too
for from where "momma" grew up.  You are right, it is hot  here.  Complaining
about the weather by a light weight really ain't much of  a problem, but when
you go making disparaging remarks about the national food of  Texas, you done
stepped over the line, Bubba.  Don't get me wrong, I like  Carolina pulled
pork and there isn't much that is better than some really good  pork ribs or a
piece white bread wrapped around a good hot link, however beef is  the real
deal
when it comes to barbecue. And when it is really good (the kind  served up
here in Texas), you don't need to cover it up with a bunch panty  waist sweet
sticky sauce.   Just make it good beef, cooked  slow over a smoky fire with a
good dry rub and you have the real  deal.

Walt, does "momma's" family ever let you get down this way?  If so,  let me
know and I'll take you over to Kruez's Market in Lockhart and make a  believer
outta you.  You can even bring your camera and we can capture some  images of
stuff "Texas."   <[8^)  Bill Barber