[OM] Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2

Subject: [OM] Testing, OM adapter, M42 to Olympus OM-2
From: keith_w <keith_w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 13:57:08 -0700
I bought one of these the other day, from an online vendor who shall remain
nameless until he's notified of my disappointment, and actually responds.
Depending on his response, I may or may not choose to divulge it.
I thought this was a great idea, since I have a LOT of M42 lenses, and very
few Oly OM lenses anymore.
Seemed the perfect solution.

It came yesterday, and this morning I attached and reattached various lenses,
using the adapter on my OM-2MD.

First complaint, the adapter doesn't quite lock into place on my OM body. It
starts to, I think, as I can feel a little click, but it never quite actually
locks. That problem all by itself is reason to return it for credit or my
money back.

Results of a few tests of fit and focus with six of my Pentax lenses:

   35mm f/3.5 Super Takumar Type II  focuses from about 1 foot to about 8 feet.

   50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar Type II  focuses from about 1 foot to about 9 feet.

   50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar  Type II  focuses from about 15" to about 15 feet.

   50mm f/1.4 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar  Type II  focuses from about 1 ft. to
      about 15 feet.

   50mm f/1.4 SMC Takumar  Type II.  Won't fully seat. Lacks about 1/32 from
      fully seating. Focus test not done.

   105mm f/2.8 Super-Multi-Coated Takumar. Focuses from about 4 ft. to
      infinity! Exactly as marked on the lens body. Hooray! One out of six!

I just wanted to inform you folks, in case any of you were contemplating such
a purchase... I'd hold off until the vendor contact is made, and we see what
sort of response is made.

By the way, to keep myself honest, I just went back and checked the eBay ad
from which I made the purchase and it says, in part but specifically, "...IT
ALLOWS INFINITY FOCUSING."

Not a good thing...

keith whaley