[OM] Re: E1

Subject: [OM] Re: E1
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 12:17:41 -0700
My opinion is that an enlargement that size is big enough to show
significant differences in sensor resolution. You will definitely see
an improvement with a substantially larger resolution like 8MP.
Surely you can spring for a camera of later design with all the price
drops. The E-1 design was set when it was announced in 2002 and it is
a great 2002 digital camera. But it is 99 years old in digital camera
years and rumors of a replacement seem to have died away. If I wished
to use my old OM lenses I might pop for a newer Oly(Is the adaptor
still free?) or an inexpensive Canon. If you do not want to use your
old lenses in preset mode it opens up your options for systems that
are setting the digital agenda like Canon and Nikon, not doing a half
hearted game of catch-up.

And who knows what will happen to Oly under Panasonic?  By all
predictions 2007 is the year DSLR sales dwindle to almost nothing
compared to what it has been. Are companies like Panasonic and Sony
going to maintain two camera and lens lines? Doubt it very much. I
don't think that they are not going to sacrifice their own brand name
or the cachet of a German lens brand.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA