[OM] Needed - definitive answer to backing up digital photos

Subject: [OM] Needed - definitive answer to backing up digital photos
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:34:48 EDT
Those who have been around for a while will remember my tales of whoa about
a crashed hard drive and the loss of 18 months worth of images.  Just for a
moment lets play like it only happened yesterday and I'm trying to resolve the
issue today.

What I want to do is to set my computer up to where I back up
(automatically) only my photo files.  Any suggestions on software to do  this
and/or
hardware with which people have been happy.  Please keep in  mind that I seek
simple,
idiot proof solutions to somewhat complex  problems.

I'm thinking perhaps two external hard drives with photos files backed  up to
both at essentially the same time (same files on each).

My laptop is loaded with photo files currently and I need to back them up
and then delete them from the laptop.  That is a very scary thought.

Comp USA is having a decent sale this weekend and I might go buy something
on Monday.
Should I be looking at a 800 Firewire connection?

Thanks in advance.  I am going to do it this time.   <[8^)  Bill Barber