[OM] Star shaped flares in night photography question

Subject: [OM] Star shaped flares in night photography question
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:27:32 -0700
Quite by accident I did some night shots and got the star shaped flare that
occurs around some light sources.

An example of what I am talking about (not my photo) is on the TOPE

http://www.tope.nl/tope_show_entry.php?event=2&pic=2

I casually Googled and found that the stars are produced by diffraction of
the diaphragm.  The number of points in the star is dependent on the number
of blades in the diaphragm.  Open the lens all the way, no star.

So, as you close the lens down, how does this affect the star flare?

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets