[OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] More OT electrical advice needed
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:51:15 +0000
The utilities in our neighborhood are underground.  A few years ago a
medium-size tree in our front yard was topped by a storm, resulting in its
roots disrupting the line to our house.  Our house is L-shaped, and this
disruption resulted in one wing of the L being completely dark, a room at the
junction of the two parts of the L being dimly lit, and the remainder of the
house having normal power.  Remember, this is the line coming to the house,
with the disruption occuring over 75 feet away, and not any problem on our side
of the meter.

The guys from the power company who responded didn't seem the least bit puzzled
by this.  They hooked up some device near our meter that provided a temporary
cure, said they'd be back the next day to fix it, which they did by digging
down to the interrupted line and repairing it.  Although my curiosity got the
better of me and I asked why we had different levels of electricity in various
parts of the house, it evidently was too complicated to be explained to a moron
who they correctly perceived didn't know his amp from his ohm.

Like I said, I don't know much 'bout 'lectricity, but that's never stopped me
from wiring stuff up.  Ain't that why there be fuses and circuit breakers?  And
fiberglass ladders.  :-)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from