[OM] Re: OT computer advice needed

Subject: [OM] Re: OT computer advice needed
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 8 May 2006 14:19:57 -0000
Cc: fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oddly I just spent the past 4 weeks researching nforce 4 systems and built a
new system last week --- some comments:

Motherboard:     MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
-- ok board - you can get one for a bit less - I hate to give models since
   all boards have lemons and if you get one ... - popular models include
   MSI K8N, ausu a8n and ausu a8nx5, epox, asrock (tends to be cheaper).

If you don't need firewire on the mb you can skip the ultra model. I would
definitly avoid raid unless you are going to use a version for redundancy.
raid 0 has no redundancy. It is suppose to provide performance gain via
striping the data across two disks.

The processor is fine - there are faster amd64 but if you don't need them
you can skip. THe graphic card seems a bit weak if you are going to do
anything intensive (3dgames for example). 1GB is fine.  The powersuply
concerns me. These boards are very sensitive two proper power. I'd go with
fsp (fortron) 400w or 500w model.

Btw early nf4 had various problems with USB (depended on device). This was
pretty much a bios issue and most of the vendors have updates that fix
various USB issues. You might need to upgrade your bios if you have USB issues.

If you decide to skip raid 0 - i would get one 250GB drive rather than two
120GB. Also be aware that with raid 0 if a drive fails data is lost on both
drives.

---

Processor:        AMD Athlon 64 3000 + Socket 939
Video:               MSI FX 5500 T128
Memory:           1 GB. Kingston
HD:                   2 HD 120 GB each @7200, RAID - Seagate SATA
Optical Drives:  one DVD 16X burner (dual layer?)
                        another DVD reader / CD-R
Connectivity:    3 Firewire
                        6 USB 2
                        Paralell
                        Video (still don't know if Composite, S-VHS or what)
                        2 Audio in & Audio out
Cabinet:           Topower
Power Supply:  400 watts. "Reales con corrector de factor de potencia"(?).
Floppy disk drive.
Ethernet Gigabit -10/100/1000
---