[OM] LAB color processing [was My Olympus DSLR rant]

Subject: [OM] LAB color processing [was My Olympus DSLR rant]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:29:40 -0700
Wayne S wrote:
> ..... You can fix it to look better, but noise is noise.

I find I can fix a bit of it very nicely, but beyond a certain point,
it's never as good as with less noise to start out with.
> People also claim they like the E-1 colors better, and if you need
> jpegs out of the camera ready to go, at iso 400 or lower, then they
> may be correct. However, I'm beginning to think that is related
> to the higher dynamic range of the Canon sensors.
That's certainly one factor. Another is the use of the Adobe color
space. Because it has the color range analog of greater dynamic range,
it can also give flat looking results without mediation.
> And I believe
> the future will continue to increase the dynamic range. Given that
> I think a new approach to post processing will become the norm.
>
> I think I have figured out a nearly optimal workflow to work with this
> higher dynamic range Canon sensor. The optimal exposure for
> digital is to get as close to clipping in the highlights as possible.
> But doing so tends to create a rather flat looking photo. To give an
> example, here is a shot I took last night during low light (2 sec exposure)
> with the Canon 5D. This is what the exposure looks like after
> converting in PS raw converter and no enhancement adjustments:
>
> http://www.airsprite.net/pub/flat_MG_5544.jpg
>
> This is not what the scene looked like to me, but is what a higher
> dynamic picture will tend to look like, a bit flat. This is what the
> photo looks like with about 15-20 seconds of post processing in
> the Lab color space:
>
> http://www.airsprite.net/pub/lab_MG_5544.jpg

Here, I'm not convinced. I've used LAB for a couple of specialized
things, but don't know much about it. On the other hand, I think your
adjusted shot looks just a bit weird. Of course, I wasn't there, but it
doesn't look like a natural scene to me. I do like the way it enhances
the texture in the rock and picks up the leaves.

Well, I'm never one to be shy about his views. Of course, this may be
over the top in its own way, looking like a brighter time of day, but I
do find it pleasant to look at <cid:part1.07060504.00040202@gmail.com>.

I am going to try out the LAB approach to see what it can do for me.

Moose