[OM] Re: OT: Toona and timber

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Toona and timber
From: "Toona" <toona@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:13:40 +1000
Hello again,

James. Point taken...there is a world of difference between the small scale,
selective approach and the corporate locust eating its way across the land
producing low value, high volume fibre. Same for sawn timber from Asia (eg
Meranti etc). Essentially converts forest ecosystems to industrial inputs.

I like timber as a material. The problem is production and truly sustainable
models are rare. They depend on the forest ecosystem, too. Natural
monocultures eg Pine forests are easier.

Mind you, one project I did years ago was on River Red Gum on the inland
Rivers. Trees grow to 45m tall, remarkable in semi-arid, but allowed by
periodic flooding of the rivers. A natural monoculture and timber yield was
being maintained over time, BUT at the expense of big trees and their
irreplaceable values. They are too slow, too full of defect and too in the
way. Where subjected to the Orwellian-sounding 'Timber stand improvement' to
cut them out.

Tree hollows are a crucial habitat test as Andrew said. Tree hollows may be
tiny (eg for a Planigale) or 2m deep for a bird wanting some protection from
goannas and snakes. Bats,  birds, possums, gliders (the 'flying' possums),
even snakes use them. Time is a fascinating aspect to me as a biologist and
often can't be replaced. The same for wet forests that very rare
'catastrophic' disturbance events only resetting the clock, whether Tassie
Mountain Ash or Canadian/US redwood/fir etc.

The double speak about 'waste' is also true. 'Waste' is defined as a big
tree not millable even if it is standing and does not NEED to be cut.

Congrats on the foresight to get cedar early, Andrew! Native pines (not just
the unique Huon Pine) produce beautiful timber that age well. Huon, Plum and
kauri (mostly from NZ, but Aus as well) etc. Huon pine is grown in
plantations (trade brand: Arakaria and maybe others) and is a good choice.

Nick

PS I have used OM for years and am sticking to it. My 90mm f2 is practically
family.