[OM] Re: OT - Floors and Finishes WAS Re: Another kitchen

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Floors and Finishes WAS Re: Another kitchen
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:24:08 +1000
Jarrah tends to have some grit in it I suspect so it does require a
steady diet of tungsten carbide. Local Red Gum is worse - while
slicing up some 100 year old foundation 4x4's on a table saw for a
benchtop, I wondered what the bits whizzing past my head might be -
turned out to be the teeth from the saw.
They may be growing something like Spotted Gum down there, as it's
fairly tough and strong. Of course, it does not guarantee to be
environmentally correct - they may be clearing rainforest to grow it.
Not too much need for hybridising - there's a eucalypt for any
climate from above the snow line to the heart of the desert. We've
got around 600 species. Oh, and when you've handled ironwood beams,
then you've got the right to complain. 2-3 times the weight of
Jarrah. These timbers were all used for railway sleepers and old
sleepers are used for garden projects here.
The ultimate is Tasmanian Huon Pine - light, beautiful and very tight
grained because it takes about 6-800 years to mature. Absolutely
waterproof - an old fallen log which was still millable was carbon
dated at over 20,000 years old. Smells divine, costs a fortune - they
used to build boats with it. So valuable that old stands drowned by
hydro dams have been recovered by divers with air-powered submersible
chainsaws.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx